Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Queens

I didn't know that Queens is the largest borough (BB 493). The second most populous, the most diverse with 130 languages spoken. It is the home of the unisphere, the symbol of the 1963 World's Fair.

Flushing Meadows- Corona Park was once a "dump". Garbage from brooklyn became known as Mt. Corona. Robert Moses converted the once dump to 1934 World's Fair. The Queens museaum of art (t was built for the 1934 World's Fair) the panorama topigraphical. The view of the five boroughs and watershed exhibit was the best exhibit to really give you an idea of the city; especially the watershed (which I am very interested in).


Our lunch break in Jackson Heights for the indian buffet at the Jackson Diner was delicious and relaxing.
Our next stop was Astoria. Astoria was a very large Greek community which is now trending toward a arab/latino commmunity. Prior to all this it was a large area for film making (BB 499) hence, the Museum of Moving Image. It was nice, but not my favorite. I didn't realize how much NYC had to due with filming all this time.
Last but not least my final stop was at 5 Points. All I can say is ahhhhhhh. A collage of graffiti. Art work covering a converted warehouse.

1 comment:

  1. Patricia, I'll give you a bit more time to ctach up with the writing. Just try to be thorough, because that's the only thing I have to grade you on.

    ReplyDelete